- Consulting for publisher Raconteur on design and implementation of this sponsored content hub on thetimes.co.uk, working with developers from The Times. I also provide ongoing consulting to Raconteur on editorial issues.
- Leveraging my pan-European media knowledge by providing strategic advice for a major US business publisher interested in UK and European expansion.
- Running a ‘strategy day’ for a specialist financial publication, mixing my broad industry expertise with the great ideas from their own staff to accelerate change.
- Creating a standards handbook for a fast-growing global online publisher to boost quality, especially from new writers, to ensure its content doesn’t get labelled as ‘fake news’.
- As a Council Member of global professional network GLG I have provided media industry expertise to a number of US-based fund managers.
Helping publishers boost revenue and traffic
I’ve run sites ranging from free to locked-down paywall. I’ve designed spin-off projects that generate revenues without diluting quality. And I’ve designed and run events that have generated £200,000 in a single evening. Has your media outlet got the right mix?
Benchmarking and content analysis: A clear view of the competition is vital to fine-tune editorial strategy, but teams can sometimes overestimate their strengths and underestimate their weaknesses. Bringing in my expertise helps get away from groupthink and allows the true picture to emerge.
Restructuring the team: Old organisation structures may not work as business needs change. I have managed a number of restructuring projects involving dozens of staff and that experience means I can minimise disruption and handle all employees with sensitivity.
Improving quality: Quality journalism isn’t an accident – it’s the result of a partnership between staff and management and will become increasingly essential as the fightback against fake news intensifies. I have given ethics training to hundreds of journalists as well as running courses in feature-writing, news-writing and many more key skills.
Advising tech firms on content issues
News and opinion helps drive traffic and can be a vital subscriber acquisition tool for any web-based service. Ask me how this can be done cost-effectively.
Content licensing: Don’t negotiate a content licensing deal without a good understanding of what you’re getting and what other deals may be available. I have a decade of experience licensing everything from premium financial content to weather and travel.
Ensuring media investors avoid expensive mistakes
Brave enough to invest in the media sector? I have experience with due diligence and pre-purchase studies.
Small- and mid-sized publishers: reasons to be cheerful
Download my 2017 white paper on their challenges (and some quick fixes) here
My industry knowledge has been built up over more than 30 years. I’ve been the editor for Europe, the Middle East and Africa for Dow Jones Newswires (leading a team of over 330 people from Dublin to Moscow), executive editor for Europe for The Wall Street Journal, and editor of Financial News where I also ran high-profile awards and events.
I’ve written for The Times, The Guardian and the Financial Times and know how global media works: I have run websites in Turkish and German, and spent a decade in Asia at the South China Morning Post and Wall Street Journal.
I’m also, frankly, a bit of a geek. I have a degree in computing and co-founded a software firm after I left university. I’ve just built a 3D printer and my current hobby is tweaking it to printing perfection.
I’m now posting regular thoughts on industry issues to my LinkedIn page I am also a LinkedIn mentor to a number of young journalists helping them with advice on getting their first job.